Stallion Frozen Semen - Virtual Course
This in-depth virtual course will utilize current research developed to efficiently freeze equine sperm. The course will emphasize a quality end product and simplify the management of the straws for future use. Participants will have a better understanding of the entire freezing process, quality control, storage, mare management, and artificial insemination of mares using frozen sperm. Previous experience with semen collection and processing is desirable.
Previous experience in semen collection, evaluation, and insemination procedures or attendance at a CSU Equine Reproductive Management equine continuing education short course is desiriable as a prerequisite for this course. Course is suitable for veterinarians, laboratory technicians, owners and breeding managers.
Course Materials will cover:
- Introduction to frozen semen in the stallion
- Principles of freezing semen
- The test freeze
- Laboratory setup, equipment and supplies
- Semen collection and evaluation
- Semen freezing technique – Part 1
- Semen freezing technique – Part 2
- Evaluation of post-thaw sperm motility
- Shipment, storage and handling of frozen semen
- Mare management for breeding with frozen semen
- Artificial insemination of mares with frozen semen
CE: RACE Approval Pending