FRANK 2.0 Communication Workshop
When: November 14-15, 2020
Where: Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Colorado State University, 300 W Drake Road, Fort Collins, CO
Registration: $1775.00 (includes course materials, digital video, breakfast, lunch, and refreshment breaks)
Instructor: Jane Shaw, DVM, PhD – Veterinary Communication for Professional Excellence, Colorado State University
FRANK Communication Workshop Series
FRANK 1.0 --> FRANK 2.0 --> Communication Coaching Skills Workshop
The FRANK ™ 2.0 Communications Workshop is the second of the three FRANK Communication Workshops designed to expand your communication toolbox.
The focus of this workshop is on the second part of the clinical interview:
- Provide explanations that create partnerships, enhance adherence and promote efficiency
- Structure conversations that foster client comprehension
- Close the interview with a complete summary and contract for next steps
The core concept is effective use of 10 communication skills to deliver information in a give-and-take manner that encourages the client to take an active role in the conversation to enhance buy-in and commitment to the care plan.
Enhance your communication toolbox with 10 key skills:
- Assess Client knowledge
- Language use
- Client perspective
- Ask permission
- Contract for next steps
- Final check
This workshop addresses the following Challenging Communication Topics:
- Promoting adherence
- Conducting financial discussions
- Delivering bad news
- Disclosing medical errors
- Managing emotions
- Discussing euthanasia
- Collegial interactions
How: This evidenced-based, interactive program uses best practices to teach communication in an experiential setting, where participants interview actor clients, receive individualized coaching and feedback from their peers and client, and reflect on a video-recording of their performance all in a small group setting (i.e. 1 coach and 5 peers).
To practice the communication skills you will:
- Interview clients
- Set and self-assess your communication learning goals
- Provide and receive peer feedback
- Review video-recording of your performance
- Participate in a day-and-a-half of intensive experiential learning
- Practice communication skills through 10 case-based simulated client interactions
- Work in a supportive small group setting with individualized attention to your learning goals
- Implement the skills in your daily client interactions or teach the skills to your veterinary team
- Effective communication is related to increased compliance, client and veterinarian satisfaction, client and staff retention, and decreased client complaints and medical errors.
- The human-animal bond drives the importance of enhancing communication between veterinary team and clients, who care about their animals more than ever.
- The concern for veterinary professional wellness urges colleagues to manage stress through effective and fulfilling interactions with clients and colleagues.
Denver International Airport
Please plan to arrive in Fort Collins on Friday, as the workshop starts bright and early Saturday morning. We recommend booking return flights at 6:00pm or later to allow travel time to the airport after the workshop wraps up at 2:00pm.
Hilton Fort Collins
A block of rooms at a reduced rate will be available at the Hilton Fort Collins. Details coming soon.
425 W Prospect Road
Fort Collins, CO 80526
Groome is the only shuttle service between the Denver airport and Fort Collins. They can deliver you directly to the Hilton, and pick you up from either the Hilton or directly from the Veterinary Teaching Hospital.
There will be a shuttle from the Hilton to the workshop site. If you choose to have your own car, please park in the client parking lot in front of the Veterinary Teaching Hospital.
CE Credits: 15.5
This program was reviewed and approved by the AAVSB RACE program for 15.5 hours of continuing education. Participants should be aware that some boards have limitations on the number of hours accepted in certain categories and/or restrictions on certain methods of delivery of continuing education. Please contact the AAVSB RACE program if you have any comments/concerns regarding this program’s validity or relevancy to the veterinary profession.