Webmaster Committee Meeting Minutes
March 11, 2003
Members Present: Jamie Bethel, John Chandler, Tom Harmon, Charlie Kerlee, Jill Lenz, Linda Tarnoff, Sallie Varner
1. Jamie Bethel reported that he has received nothing from SiteObjects for testing and has no new information at this time.
2. Concerning the CSU home page URL change to welcome.colostate.edu. It is not necessary to change links to that URL; the redirect from www.colostate.edu will work forever.
3. Report on the Web Redesign Committee meeting held 3/10/03.
The main item for this meeting was to set goals and deadlines for the redesign process:
- April 10, 2003 Jill and Tom will complete a simple sample fly-out menu page.
- June 10, 2003 at the CVMBS Webmaster meeting, we will present 3-4 final ideas for the new CVMBS home page look for committee members to vote on.
- The new page should be in a final format that is compatible with 4.X version
of browsers (Netscape & others)
1. Discussion on support and use of Netscape 7.0 browser. John Chandler said it displays the new CSU home page like IE. Question: Does it do pass-through authentication? After research, Tom found that it does not.
2. Jill gave a brief presentation on the recent CSU Web Accessibility Committee meeting during which they discussed pros and cons of the new CSU home page design. They will be producing a final statement for the CSU home page manager and Jill will provide copies of this to us, as well, when available.
3. Jill provided a comparison of newly revised CSU Web Site Requirements with old requirements.
CSU Web Site Requirements, Guidelines and User Responsibilities at:
Revisions made since fall semester:
-- Changed name of document from "Standard and Content Guidelines" to "Requirements, Guidelines and User Responsibilities."
-- Removed the only accessibility guideline regarding ALT text for images. However, the WebAdmin page at: http://webdev.colostate.edu/ does have a "Making Web Pages Accessible" link to the CSU Web Access Committee's Quick Tips.
-- Changed language about which pages the standards apply to, i.e. used to be "all official University home pages and pages linked from CSU's A-Z, Events & Calendars (home page is the top level page of a college, department, unit or program), now it is worded "all pages of official University Web sites and web applications".
-- Added details of where the official CSU logo should appear . . . within an 800 by 600 pixel window without scrolling down.
-- Gives the new URL of the University home page (welcome.colostate.edu) vs the old www.colostate.edu.
-- Gave a new requirement to add a link called "Search CSU" or "Finding Information" pointing to the URL: search.colostate.edu
-- Added an e-commerce policy with extensive documentation on the process at:
4. Webmasters should note the requirement above concerning the need to add a link to "Search CSU" (search.colostate.edu). It was suggested that this link can take the place of the current "CSU Directory" link on the top navigation bar, or the link can be added elsewhere on the page (e.g. at the bottom). It is easy to change or add this link using the "Find and Replace" feature in Dreamweaver.
The next Webmaster Committee meeting will be held Tuesday, April 8 from 9:00-10:00
am in W01 Anatomy/Zoology.
Submitted by Tom Harmon 3/11/03
Return to Webmaster Committee Minutes page