Webmaster Committee Meeting Minutes
February 11, 2003
Members Present: Martin Fettman, Tom Harmon, Charlie Kerlee, Jill Lenz, Erin Napier, Sallie Varner
1. The "Students" page has been reorganized per suggestions from several people last month. It looks good and the more organized design should make it easier to use: http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/cvmbs/student.html
2. The CVMBS home page also has been slightly revised to add more pictures. It was suggested that we should add the Vet Hospital Open House information as soon as possible. Charlie will send Sallie pictures of this year's posters to use as rotating images.
3. We looked at the new CSU home page design and critiqued the lack of links and new look. We also discussed the change in URL from www . . . to welcome . . . It was suggested that committee members might want to update this address in their links to the CSU home page. However, it was also suggested that continuing to use the old www . . . as the link (via their redirect) might be an appropriate way to demonstrate against the URL change (which several members felt was unnecessary).
4. Report from the Redesign Committee meeting held January 27. We don't want to proceed too far with the redesign until we learn more about the status of SiteObjects. We discussed several changes that were proposed by the Redesign Committee, including lighting up fly out menu items and rearranging the page so that information is more visible. Dr. Fettman suggested that "Insight" and the "Cancer Center Bulletin" might be good sources for weekly news items for a redesigned page. Sallie showed some pages with several redesign elements that she has been working on.
5. Dr. Fettman said that Jamie Bethel has just received an upgraded version
of SiteObjects to start looking at.
1. We discussed the CSU Directory link on College and Departmental pages. Several members said that they felt it was a valuable link and it should be retained in the redesign. Jill reminded committee members that the link address changed several months back. Jill also demonstrated a link checker that is available on the Directory site, as well as giving examples of other link checkers that are available online. The best one was at: http://validator.w3.org/checklink
2. While most of the CVMBS pages don't have any reference to the accreditation
status of the University, if you do have any statement to this effect, the correct
wording should be:
Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association.
3. Jill reminded committee members of the workshop she is giving on Thursday, February 13 - "What's new in Photoshop 7" - 1:30-3:30 pm in Clark C143. If anyone is interested in attending, they should contact Jill via e-mail or phone.
Our next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, March 11 from 9:00-10:00 am in W01
Submitted by Tom Harmon 2/12/03
Return to Webmaster Committee Minutes page