Webmaster Committee Meeting Minutes
January 14, 2003
Members Present: Jamie Bethel, John Chandler, Tom Harmon, Charlie
Kerlee, Jill Lenz, Erin Napier, Mary Pridgen, Linda Tarnoff, Sallie Varner
1) Tom Harmon volunteered to serve as the new secretary for Committee meetings.
2) Link request from Colorado PEAKS Alliance - After viewing the PEAKS web site, it was decided that it will not be a problem for them to add a link to the CVMBS page from their site. We also decided that it would be appropriate to add a link to their page from our "Related Links" page.
3) Links to Vet Start Program - Linda Tarnoff requested that links be provided from the CVMBS home page and department pages to the Vet Start Program page. The Vet Start Program gives assistance to minority undergraduate students who are interested in pursuing a veterinary career. Linda has already placed a link to this program on the Professional Veterinary Medicine Program home page. The Committee decided that a link to Vet Start should be place on the CVMBS page and department webmasters are encouraged to add the link to their department pages, as well.
Sallie showed a sample CVMBS page that included a link to the Vet Start program. While the link was acceptable, committee members felt that the page could be modified so that the link would show up without having to scroll down. A suggestion was made that the Vet Start link might be highlighted with a picture. Charlie Kerlee said that he has an appropriate photo.
4) A suggestion had been made that the "CVMBS Death Notification Protocol"
link on the "Student" page might be moved to make it a little less
foreboding. In addition, members felt that the page might be organized a bit
differently to make it more accessible for users. Linda Tarnoff said that she
would work on this and asked for suggestions on organization if others have
time to look at the page.
1) Redesign of College and Department home pages - A Redesign Committee was created to begin the redesign process. Committee members include: Jamie Bethel, Tom Harmon, Jill Lenz, Mary Pridgen (chair) and Sallie Varner. Some discussion followed, during which suggestions were provided on both the redesign process and concepts of new page design. Jill Lenz shared several color print-outs she had made of pages from other veterinary schools and opinions on good and bad points on these pages were given. Sallie asked the Redesign Committee to hold a preliminary meeting sometime during the next month.
2) Sallie showed another sample CVMBS page with minor changes which add more pictures to liven the page up and make it more user friendly. Committee members expressed approval, while providing suggestions to help improve the design. Sallie will work on instituting the suggested changes.
3) Faculty Pages - Sallie proposed creating a committee to start work on redesigning College faculty pages so that they are consistent across department with regard to look and content (this idea had been proposed at an earlier meeting). The overwhelming opinion expressed was that department web authors are already over-burdened with web programming duties, on top of other job duties, and especially with another redesign looming. Because of this, the redesign of faculty pages was tabled, probably until we begin to work with a content management program.
4) Site Objects brainstorming - This was put on hold pending more information and release of the 3.0 version.
Our next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, February 11 from 9:00-10:00 am in
Submitted by Tom Harmon and Sallie Varner 01/15/03
Return to Webmaster Committee Minutes page