The 3rd Annual Mycobacteria Research Laboratories Scientific Retreat a Resounding Success. On August 12-13, 2004 ninety five researchers attended the 3rd annual MRL retreat at the Ft. Collins Country Club. Congratulations to Miyako Kimura, Seba Mahapatra and Marcela Henao-Tamayo who received awards for the top posters. More >>
The Buck Stops Here! Colorado State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (CSU-VDL) is
beginning the third hunting season of testing for chronic wasting disease
(CWD) in hunter-harvested deer and elk for the Colorado Division of Wildlife
(CDOW) and the hunters of the state. More >>
MIP Picnic 2004 was held on the grassy knoll between Anatomy/Zoology & the Painter Center on Friday, August 27th. Despite downpouring rains, over 200 MIP'ers and their families attended! The grill was manned by our very own Dept Head and Facilities Manager, there was lots of food and drink, and families had fun playing in the rain. Check out the Picnic Photo Gallery
The 2004 Softball Challenge was held on August 22, 2004. The game was played at Rolland Moore Park at 2:00 p.m. Those participating- not pictured: Charlie Calisher and Erica Suchman. Pictured back row L to R- Jessica Hattle, John Spencer, Gavin Ryan, Sandy Quackenbush, Cris Cirimotich, Nikki Garneau, Tina Daniels. Front Row- Brian Foy, Andrew Goodyear, Eric Beck, Chad Young, Jeff Wilusz with Evan, Becky Riviore.
Erica Suchman,was appointed to a 3-year term on the American Society for Microbiology's (ASM) Education Board in July of 2003.
August/early September 2004
- Gehring AJ, Dobos KM, Belisle JT, Harding CV, Boom WH. Mycobacterium tuberculosis LprG (Rv1411c): a novel TLR-2 ligand that inhibits human macrophage class II MHC antigen processing. J Immunol. 2004 Aug 15;173(4):2660-8.
- Wengenack NL, Lane BD, Hill PJ, Uhl JR, Lukat-Rodgers GS, Hall L, Roberts GD, Cockerill FR 3rd, Brennan PJ, Rodgers KR, Belisle JT, Rusnak F. Purification and characterization of Mycobacterium tuberculosis KatG, KatG(S315T), and Mycobacterium bovis KatG(R463L). Protein Expr Purif. 2004 Aug;36(2):232-43.
- Ronning DR, Vissa V, Besra GS, Belisle JT, Sacchettini JC. Mycobacterium tuberculosis Antigen 85A and 85C Structures Confirm Binding Orientation and Conserved Substrate Specificity. J Biol Chem. 2004 Aug 27;279(35):36771-7.
- Bosio CM, Moore BD, Warfield KL, Ruthel G, Mohamadzadeh M, Aman MJ, Bavari S. Ebola and Marburg virus-like particles activate human myeloid dendritic cells. Virology. 2004 Sep 1;326(2):280-7.
- Cousens C, Bishop JV, Philbey AW, Gill CA, Palmarini M, Carlson JO, DeMartini JC, Sharp JM. Analysis of integration sites of Jaagsiekte sheep retrovirus in ovine pulmonary adenocarcinoma. J Virol. 2004 Aug;78(16):8506-12.
- de Rozieres S, Mathiason CK, Rolston MR, Chatterji U, Hoover EA, Elder JH. Characterization of a highly pathogenic molecular clone of feline immunodeficiency virus clade C. J Virol. 2004 Sep;78(17):8971-82.
- Vesosky B, Turner OC, Turner J, Orme IM. Gamma interferon production by bovine gamma delta T cells following stimulation with mycobacterial mycolylarabinogalactan peptidoglycan. Infect Immun. 2004 Aug;72(8):4612-8.
- Gould TA, Schweizer HP, Churchill ME. Structure of the Pseudomonas aeruginosa acyl-homoserinelactone synthase LasI. Mol Microbiol. 2004 Aug;53(4):1135-46.
- Theodos CM, Morris RV, Bishop JV, Jones JD, McMaster WR, Titus RG. Characterization of an I-E-restricted, gp63-specific, CD4-T-cell clone from Leishmania major-resistant C3H mice that secretes type 2 cytokines and exacerbates infection with L. major. Infect Immun. 2004 Aug;72(8):4486-93.
Where: University Park Holiday Inn,
The Arizona/Oregon Room
Date: Thursday, September 23
Time: Arrive/Continental Breakfast 7:45am-8:30am
Meeting begins promptly at 8:30am and runs till approximately 3:30pm
Focus: Service & Education Missions of the Department
Office Staff Coverage
Katie Meyer will be on Maternity Leave from September 6 thru November 26.
Atisaya Vimuktanon will be on Maternity Leave from Sept 6 thru November 19.
Valerie Romero will be returning from Maternity Leave on Sept 27.
Office staff from each facility will be accepting additional duties to help cover in their absence.
Click here for a detailed breakdown of the duty coverage plan.
The Fourth Annual Meeting of the Rocky Mountain Virology Club will be October 8-10, 2004 at CSU's Pingree Park Campus.
Since 2001, a hardy band of virologists around here have organized the Rocky Mountain Virology Club and held annual meetings at Pingree Park. In attendance have been folks from CSU, UC Health Sciences Center, USDA/Laramie, CDC/Ft. Collins and more far-flung institutions. More >>
The ACVP (anatomic pathology) and ASVCP (clinical pathology) Exams are held once a year in Ames Iowa on the campus of Iowa State University. This year the exams will be held on September 29th and 30th.
Best of luck to all the MIP Residents participating this year!
- Debra Kamstock
- Marie LeGare
- Todd Painter
- Jeremy Johnson
- Kyra Somers
- Linda Vap
- Karen Zaks
MIP has an Infectious Softball Team!
The graduate students have formed a coed softball team named 'Infectious' that will be competing against other graduate student teams from CSU. Their next game is Sunday, September 19, at 6:15pm at the intramural field southwest of the Student Rec Center. Games go for 7 innings or 1 hour, whichever comes first. Attend a game and show your support for Infectious!
Welcome New Employees!
RA in Quackenbush Lab
RA in Suchman/Carlson Labs
|Katy Quinn, |
RA in Belisle Lab
RA in Inamine Lab
|Erin Smith, |
RA in Basaraba/Orme Labs
Postdoc in Akkina Lab
Quote of the Month:
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work".
by Thomas Alva Edison
"I knew that Wilusz guy was
sitting on a pot of money!"