On Aug. 20, 2010, there was a gathering of luminaries at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital – some of the brightest stars in the history of veterinary medicine and most certainly at the College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences. Though there were a few hearing aids and wheel chairs, the spirit of veterinary medicine was alive and vibrant in these citizen pioneers, all of whom helped to shape the history and future of the College.
“It has been an exciting week here on campus, a week of beginnings,” said Dr. Lance Perryman, Dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences. “It is fitting that we are here to honor seven people who were very important to the beginning of this College.”
The College has recently named seven streets, drives and roads on the South Campus in recognition of the honorees, three of whom were represented by surviving family members. All the honorees “helped build the roads to success for the College, so it is only fitting to honor them with roads of their own.” Each honoree served in an administrative position with the College, and was a leader in the development of the College’s programs in research, education, and outreach.
Dr. Nicholas H. Booth
Dr. Booth was Dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences from 1966 to 1971. He was instrumental in procuring land and funds for purchase and construction of the many new buildings currently used by the College. In addition, he co-authored and co-edited several editions during a 35-year period of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, a reference used by veterinarians worldwide.
Dr. Floyd Cross
Dr. Cross was Dean of the College from 1948 to 1956. He served during a pivotal era in the history of veterinary education and directed what was the only program of its kind west of Cornell University. During his tenure, the six-year course of study was approved, the Glover Hospital completed, and the WICHE pact established. Dr. Cross passed away in 1970.
Dr. Edward L. Gillette
Dr. Gillette served as Chair of the Department of Radiological Health Sciences from 1989 to 1998, and as Associate Dean for Research from 1997 to 1998, and developed the world-renowned Animal Cancer Center. He established the first linear accelerator in the world dedicated to the treatment of spontaneous tumors in pets. After more than 45 years of service CSU, Dr. Gillette retired. He passed away in 2006.
Dr. Rue Jensen
Dr. Jensen served as Dean of the College from 1957 until 1966. During his tenure, he greatly expanded the College’s research activities and strengthened its academic programs. He served as Vice President for Research at CSU, and Director of the Agricultural Experiment Station. He established and nurtured many of the College’s prestigious graduate programs. Dr. Jensen passed away in 2000.
Dr. Gordon D. Niswender
Dr. Niswender served as Associate Dean for Research from 1982 to 1995, and as Interim Dean from 1985 to 1986. He was named a University Distinguished Professor in 1987, the University’s highest honor. Dr. Niswender has been a leader in the field of reproductive biology for nearly four decades. He served as Director of the Animal Reproduction and Biotechnology Laboratory, Director of the Equine Sciences Program, and Director of the Western Center for Integrated Management.
Dr. Robert D. Phemister
Dr. Phemister served as Dean of the College from 1977 to 1982. As Dean, he promoted improvements in veterinary education and further increased the College’s emphasis on broadly based biomedical research. He was appointed as the Interim President of Colorado State University in 1983 and served in that role for one year. Most recently, he was Dean at the College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University.
Dr. William J. Tietz
Dr. Tietz served as Dean of the College from 1971 to 1977, during a time of diminished funding for the College along with an increasingly beleaguered building program. He was instrumental in expanding the WICHE program and obtaining state and national funding needed to construct the Veterinary Teaching Hospital located on the South Campus. The hospital rapidly became recognized as one of the finest veterinary teaching facilities in the nation.