Center for Companion Animal Studies Announces 2009 PVM Student Grants
The Center for Companion Animal Studies at the James L. Voss Veterinary Teaching Hospital has funded 18 PVM Student Grants from a total of 29 applications. The program received almost $50,000 this year from its sponsors to support student research.
2009 PVM Student Grants (with faculty sponsor and title):
- Avery, A., et al. Targeted immunotherapy for treatment of dogs with B cell non-Hodgkin’s-like lymphoma.
- Boscan, P., et al. Epidural use of NK-1 receptor antagonist “maropitant” to elicit analgesia.
- Goodrich, L., et al. Transduction of equine bone marrow derived mesenchymal stem cells with varying serotypes of adeno-associated viral vector.
- Hackett, T., et al. Quantification of eubacterial DNA in blood of dogs by real time PCR assay.
- Hackett, E., et al. Determination of eubacterial DNA in the peripheral blood of healthy neonatal foals from birth to 72 hours of age.
- Hassel, D., et al. Detection of calprotectin and its correlation to apoptosis within the equine gastrointestinal tract from horses with black walnut extract-induced laminitis.
- Kawcak, C., et al. Correlation between geometric parameters identified on computed omographic images and radiographic images of horses.
- Lappin, M., et al. Amplification of feline hemoplasma DNA from feral cats, Aedes vexans, and Culex tarsalis in Colorado.
- Lappin M., et al. Prevalence of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus and Staphylococcus intermedius in cats and dogs housed in an animal shelter in North-Central Colorado.
- Lunn, K., et al. Success of radioiodine therapy in cats receiving methimazole.
- Lunn,K., et al. Evaluation of the effects of hospital stress on physiologic parameters in the cat.
- Lunn, K., et al. Detection of TH40 cells in normal and diabetic dogs.
- Palmer,R., et al. Do tibial osteotomy techniques attain the desired geometry for canine stifle stabilization?
- Powell, C., et al. Prevalence of Bartonella spp. DNA in the conjunctival cells collected from cats with and without conjunctivitis.
- Thamm, D., et al. The effect of curcumin on feline vaccine-associated sarcoma.
- Webb,C., et al. Effect of Lactobacillus probiotic supplementation on cytokine production and T- regulatory cell populations in cats with inflammatory bowel disease.
- Worley, D ., et al. Development of regional lymph node classification for use in canine lung cancer staging.
- Zabel,S., et al. Evaluation of cyclosporine blood levels in eight cats after administration of metoclopramide.
Fort Dodge Animal Health
Hill's Pet Nutrition and SCAVMA
Intervet/Schering Plough Animal Health
Nestle Purina Pet Care
P&G Pet Care (Iams/Eukanuba)
Pfizer Animal Health
Veterinary Centers of America
Bayer Animal Health
Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica Ltd.
Novartis Animal Health