Highlights of the Dr. Perryman's State of the College Address
Dr. Lance Perryman, Dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical
Sciences, presented his second State of the College address on October
23 at the University Park Holiday Inn. Below are highlights of that address,
including goals and objectives for the coming year.
Recent Events as of Fall 2003
- $16.6 million grant from NIH for the Regional Biocontainment Laboratory
- $9.7 million grant from NASA
- $4 million from CSU Infectious Diseases Initiative for Biomedical
Sciences, and Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology
Achievements for 2002-2003
- Recruitment of four department heads
- Recruitment of new director for the James L. Voss Veterinary Teaching
- Finalizing an undergraduate degree program in Biomedical Sciences
for full implementation fall semester 2004 (in progress)
- Implemented a successful plan for recruiting PVM students in the face
of increased competition for WICHE students and decreased support for
WICHE student slots.
- Implementing a plan for increasing graduate students numbers (in progress).
- Completed master site plan for South Campus.
- Designed a development plan to raise funds for South Campus facilities.
- Designing plans for Physiology Building renovation (in progress, with
strategy change to design a new research laboratory and office building
for Main Campus).
- Faculty and staff raised more that goal of $8.5 million for CVMBS
programs - received $9.435 million in gifts and $1.526 million in pledges.
- Development strategies finalized to raise money for South Campus facilities
- business plan defined, initial strategy defined.
- Completed a successful search for a Vice Provost for Agriculture and
Outreach, Dean of the College of Agricultural Sciences - chaired search
committee that resulted in the hiring of Dr. Marc Johnson.
- Served on the Presidential Advisory Committee to the Board of Governors
with successful hiring of Dr. Larry Penley as President of CSU and Chancellor
of the CSU System.
Goals for 2003-2004
- Host alumni receptions at AVMA, AAEP, and Western Veterinary Conference
- Host alumni receptions for 50-year and 25-year alums.
- Meet with CVMA and AAVMC constituents.
- Meet with CCA and other commodity group representatives.
- Represent the College effectively to the CSU President, Provost, and
- Continue monthly e-newsletters.
- Continue SCRUB and initiate FC3.
- Attend unit meetings.
- Invite PRSE directors to attend two Executive Council meetings each
- Invite University Distinguished Professors and Teaching Scholar to
attend two Executive Council meetings each semester.
- Complete planning and obtain approvals for Foothills campus facilities.
- Complete planning and obtain approvals for Main Campus research buildings.
- Launch silent phase of a five-year capital campaign to raised approximately
$75 million for South Campus facilities.
- Faculty and staff will raise $10 million for CVMBS programs.
- Complete a successful search for a Vice President for Development
and University Relations.