Facts About Dystocia
- As calving difficulty increases, the percent
of cow and calf deaths increases.
- Bull calves are usually more compromised than
heifer calves because bull calves are usually larger.
- Some studies have shown that there is an increased
incidence of dystocia in the winter verses the summer. This
may be due to decreased exercise in the winter.
- Dystocia is the major cause of stillbirth.
- Approximately half of the calf losses from birth
to weaning occur in the first day of life.