Susan L. Kraft
Director of Imaging Research
Phone: (970) 297-0350 or (970) 297-1293
Fax: (970) 297-1254
Office: 154 Animal Cancer Center
James L. Voss Veterinary Teaching Hospital
- Ph.D., Washington State University
- D.V.M., Washington State University
- B.S., Biology, University of Alaska
Dr. Kraft serves as Director of Imaging Research and as Director of the Magnetic Resonance
Imaging service in the Animal Cancer Center. In addition to board certification
in diagnostic imaging through the American College of Veterinary Radiology (ACVR), she is also
boarded in veterinary radiation oncology (ACVR-RO).
Her primary research interest is cancer imaging, particularly using with magnetic resonance
imaging (MRI) and magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) and positron emission tomography
(PET-CT) in translational animal models (pets with spontaneous cancer). Her focus is
imaging of cancer physiology, radiation effects and assessing functional response to
treatment. This particularly involves imaging of parameters important to treatment effects
and response such as tumor vascularity, hypoxia, perfusion, and tumor metabolism. She
also has an interest in imaging infectious disease models using advanced imaging modalities
such as MRI and PET-CT, particularly retroviral and mycobacterial diseases.
Selected peer-reviewed publications related to cancer research (in chronological order):
- Gavin PR, Kraft SL, Wendling LR, D. Miller: Canine Spontaneous Brain Tumors - A Large Animal Model for BNCT, Strahlentherapie und Onkologie 165(2/3): 225-229, 1989.
- Kraft SL, Gavin PR, Wendling LR, Reddy VK: Canine Brain Anatomy on Magnetic Resonance Images. Vet Radiol 30 (4):147-158, 1989.
- Kraft SL, Gavin PR, Leathers CW, Wendling LR, Frenier SL, Dorn RV. Diffuse cerebral and leptomeningeal astrocytoma in dogs: MR features. JCAT 14(4):555-560,1990.
- Moore MP, Gavin PR, Kraft SL, De Haan CE, Leathers CW, Dorn RV. MR, CT and clinical features from dogs with nasal tumors involving the rostral cerebrum and nasal passages. Vet Radiol 32 (1): 19-25, 1991.
- Kraft SL, Gavin PR, Leathers CW, DeHaan CE, Bauer WB, Miller DL, Dorn RV. Borocaptate sodium: A potential boron-carrying compound for Boron Neutron Capture Therapy. Proceedings National Academy of Science, USA 89:11973-11977, 1992.
- Kraft SL, Gavin PR, Leathers CW, DeHaan CE, Bauer WF, Dorn RV, Griebenow ML. Biodistribution of boron in dogs with spontaneous intracranial tumors following borocaptate sodium administration. Cancer Research 54:1259-1263, 1994.
- Kraft SL, Gavin PR, DeHaan CE, Moore M, Wendling LR, Leathers CW. Retrospective evaluation of magnetic resonance imaging characteristics of 50 intracranial tumors. J Vet Intern Med 11:218-225, 1997.
- Gavin PR, Kraft SL, Huiskamp R, Coderre JA. A review: CNS effects and normal tissue tolerance in dogs. J Neurooncol 33(1-2):71-80, 1997.
- Kraft SL and Gavin PR. MRI of Intracranial neoplasia. Clinical Technique and Small Animal Practice, 14(2):112-123, 1999.
- Huang Z, Haider MA, Kraft S, Chen Q, Blanc D, Wilson B, Hetzel F. Response of prostate gland to Pd-Bacteriopheophorbide (Tookad) photodynamic therapy monitored with magnetic resonance imaging. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine: 38:672-681, 2006.
- Kraft SL, Ehrhart EJ, Gall D, Klopp L, Gavin P, Tucker R, Bagley R, Kippenes H, DeHaan C, Pedroia V, Partington B, Olby N. Magnetic Resonance Imaging Characteristics of 18 Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumors of the Canine Brachial Plexus. Vet Radiol and Ultrasound 48(1):1-7, 2007.
- Kraft SL, Randall E., Wilhelm M, Lana S. Development of a whole body MR imaging protocol in normal dogs and canine cancer patients. Vet Radiol and Ultrasound 48(3): 212-220, 2007.
- Ehrhart N, Kraft SL, Conover D, Rosier R, Schwarz E. Quantification of massive allograft healing with dynamic contrast enhanced-MRI and cone beam CT. Clin Orthop Relat Res 466: 1897-1904, 2008.
- Hudachek SF, Kraft SL, Thamm DH, Bielefeldt-Ohmann H, DeMartini JC, Miller AD, Dernell WS. Spontaneous cancer regression in a large animal model for human lung adenocarcinoma. Vet Path 47(1), Jan 2010.
- Rowe MD, Chang CC, Thamm DH, Kraft SL, Harmon JF, Vogt AP, Sumerlin BS, and Boyes SG. Tuning the Magnetic Resonance Imaging Properties of Positive Contrast Agent Nanoparticles by Surface Modification with RAFT Polymers. Langmuir: the ACS journal of surfaces and colloids 25(16):9487-99, 2009.
- Thamm DH, Kurzman ID, Clark MA, Ehrhart EJ, Kraft SL, Gustafson DL, Vail DM. Preclinical investigation of PEGylated tumor necrosis factor alpha in dogs with spontaneous tumors: Phase I evaluation. Clin Cancer Res 16(5); 1498-1508, 2010.
- Eichelberger BM, Kraft SL, Halsey CH, Park RD, Miller MD, Klopp L. Imaging Diagnosis – MRI findings of primary cerebral hemangioma. Vet Radiol & US 2011 Mar-Apr; 52(2): 188-91.
- Leclerc MK,D’Anjou MA, Blond L, Carmel EN, Dennis R, Kraft SL, Matthews AR, Parent JM. Interobserver agreement and accuracy in the interpretation of brain MRI in dogs. In press JAVMA October, 2011.
- Valdes-Martinez A, Kraft SL, Brundage CM, Arceneaux BK, Stewart JA, Gibbons DS. Blood pool, soft tissue and skeletal uptake of 18F-NaF with PET/CT in four normal dogs. In press AJVR October 2011.
Selected peer-reviewed publications related to imaging for infectious disease research (in chronological order):
- Sharpe SA, Eschelbach E, Basaraba RJ, Gleeson F, Hall GA, McIntyre A, Williams A, Kraft SL, Clark S, Gooch K, Hatch F, Orme IM, Marsh PD, Dennis MJ. Determination of lesion volume by MRI and stereology in a macaque model of tuberculosis. Tuberculosis, 2009 Nov;89(6):405-16. Epub 2009 Oct 30.
- Ordway DJ, Shanley CA, Caraway ML, Orme EA, Bucy DS, Hascall-Dove L, Henao-Tamayo M, Harton MR, Shang S, Ackart D, Kraft SL, Lenaerts AJ, Basaraba RJ, Orme IM. Evaluation of standard chemotherapy in the guinea pig model of tuberculosis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2010 54(5): 1820-33. Epub 2010 Feb 16.
- Bucy DS, Brown MS, Bielefeldt-Ohmann H, Thompson J, Bachand AM, Morges M, Elder JH, VandeWoude S, Kraft SL; Early detection of neuropathophysiology using diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging in asymptomatic cats with feline immunodeficiency viral infection; J Neurovirology 2011 Jul23 [Epub ahead of print].
Department Contact Information:
Environmental and Radiological Health Sciences
Fort Collins, CO 80523
Phone: (970) 491-7038
Fax: (970) 491-2940