R. Edward Hendrick, Ph.D.
Dr. Hendrick is a Clinical Professor of Radiology at the University of Colorado - Denver, Anschutz School of Medicine. A board-certified diagnostic medical physicist, he was involved in the initial clinical application of magnetic resonance imaging, its application to breast imaging, and the development and evaluation of digital mammography. He helped establish the American College of Radiology's Mammography Accreditation, MRI Accreditation, Stereotactic Breast Biopsy Accreditation, and Breast MRI Accreditation programs and helped define American College of Radiology and FDA federal standards for mammography equipment and quality control. He is the lead author on all four editions of the American College of Radiology's Mammography Quality Control Manuals and was a charter member of the FDA's Mammography Quality Assurance Advisory Committee. He was principal investigator on the first trials of digital mammography, first with U.S. Army funding, and later was co-principal investigator of the NCI-sponsored ACRIN DMIST screening trial of digital mammography. His research focuses on improving breast cancer detection using new technologies and on improving the quality of existing breast imaging technologies.
- Ph.D., Rockefeller University
- B.S., Columbia University
- B.A., Hendrix College
- American Board of Radiology - Certification in Diagnostic Radiological Physics
- R. Edward Hendrick, Etta D. Pisano, Alice Averbukh, Catherine Moran, Eric A. Berns, Martin J. Yaffe, Benjamin Herman, Suddhasatta Acharyya, Constantine Gatsonis. Comparision of Acquisition Parameters and Breast Dose in Digital Mammography and Screen-Film Mammography in the American College of Radiology Imaging Network Digital Mammographic Imaging Screening Trial, AJR; 194:362-369; February 2010
- Jean R. Paquelet, R. Edward Hendrick. Lesion Size Inaccuracies in Digital Mammography, This is a Web exclusive article; AJR; 194:W115-W118; January 2010
- Etta D. Pisano, Sudhasatta Acharyya, Elodia B. Cole, Helga S. Marques, Martin J. Yaffe, Meredith Blevins, Emily F. Conant, R. Edward Hendrick, Janet K. Baum, Laurie L. Fajardo, Roberta A. Jong, Marcia A. Koomen, Cherie M. Kuzmiak, Yeonhee Lee, Dag Pavic, Sora C. Yoon, Wittaya Padungchaichote, Constantine Gatsonis. Cancer Cases from ACRIN Digital Mammographic Imaging Screening Trial: Radiologist Analysis with Use of a Logistic Regression Model, Radiology; Volume 252: Number 2: 348-357; August 2009
- R. Edward Hendrick, Elodia B. Cole, Etta D. Pisano, Suddhasatta Acharyya, Helga Marques, Michael A. Cohen, Roberta A. Jong, Gordon E. Mawdsley, Kalpana M. Kanal, Carl J. D'Orsi, Murray Rebner, Constantine Gatsonis, For the DMIST Investigators Group. Accuracy of Soft-Copy Digital Mammography Versus That of Screen-Film Mammography according to Digital Manufacturer: ACRIN DMIST Retrospective Multireader Study, Radiology; Volume 247: Number 1: 38-48; April 2008
Department Contact Information:
Environmental and Radiological Health Sciences
Fort Collins, CO 80523
Phone: (970) 491-7038
Fax: (970) 491-2940