For the West, About the West, From the West
The Western Dairy News was published from 2001 - 2012 as a service to the people interested in the health and welfare of the western dairy industry. The newsletter was the collaborative effort of dairy specialists from the following western states.
Kansas State University Research and Extension
Thanks to Dr. Ragan Adams, Editor for 12 years of Western Dairy News
- How soon after calving do cows show heat and evidence of first ovulation? by CR Johnson, J Spencer, A Ahmadzadeh, JC Dalton
- Reducing bacterial contamination of waterways by ER Jordan and JL Petterson
- Controlling the disease without crippling the industry, by Nick Striegel
- Management practices on US heifer-raising operation, by Jason Lombard
- Development of a comprehensive dairy saftey training program by Robert Hagevoort
- Leading by example: Pleasant View Farms by Travis Hoffman and Nichole Hockenberry
- Strategies for radioactive decontamination of livestock, by TE Johnson, A Brandl, P Sprenger
- Update on milk fat depression in dairy herds by Garrett R Oetzel
- Develop and manage heifers with a focus on age at conception, by Joseph C. Dalton
- Good health records and outcome driven health management, by John Wenz
- Defending the nations milk supply, by Dr. Ellen Jorden
- Sustainability, schmustainability, What does it matter? by Judith Cappen
- Dairy beef quality and animal well being, By Noa Roman-Muniz and Travis Hoffman
- Efficient feed center design, By J.P. Harner, J.F. Smith, M.J. Borok and B.J. Bradford
- Make manure samples count by Deanne Meyer
- Extension Specialists are an endangered species by Mike Gamroth
- Foot-and-mouth disease threat to U.S. livestock production is real and growing, By Marna Sinclair and Aaron Reeves
- BVD: More answers.... and questions, By George Barrington
- Stocking density: How much? By Dale Moore
- The long lasting impact of reproductive performance on health and production, By Ricardo C. Chebel
and Luís G. D. Mendonca
- New Mexico ALIRT and Syndromic Surveillance, By Dr. John Wenzel
- Want to double pregnancies during heat stress and increase the number of heifers born? By Todd Bilby
- Dairy heifer raising “Gold Standards”, By Allen Young and Kerry Rood
Colostrum feeding: what's new?, By Page Dinsmore
- Effects of swinging cow brush on milk production and mastitis, By Ynte H. Schukken and G. Douglas Young
National Air Emissions Monitoring Study update, By Dr. Deanne Meyer and Dr. Wendy Powers
How did the 2009 economic crisis affect Idaho dairy practices? By Dr. Mireille Chahine, Dr. Glenn E. Shewmaker, Dr. Richard J. Norell, and C. Wilson Gray
- Making smart choices about “cow power” By Sarah Lupis, Sybil Sharvelle, Catherine Keske, and Jessica Davis
- Training tomorrow’s bovine health professionals, By Franklin Garry
- Protecting our nation's milk supply by E Jordan
- Mycotoxin contamination in silages by D Diaz
- Joining forces to reduce tractor injuries by NIOSH
- Methane production - myth or reality? by M Gamroth
- Fecal coliform and E. coli: Another enviromental concern for dairies by W Becker and T Nennich
- Making a plan for ammonia reduction? by J Davis
- Air Quality: Current issues and future regulations by M Marcillac
- Evaluate manure technologies before you buy by D Meyer
- From ammonia to PM 2.5 by B Auvermann
- Antibiotic residue prevention in milk and dairy beef by J Dalton
- Maximizing vaccination programs for organic dairies by Dr R Callan
- Abomasitis and abdomasal bloat by Drs. D Van Metre and R Callan
- Current Mortality rates on US dairies by Dr. F Garry
- Bunkers, piles or bags; which is most economical? by KC Dhuyuetter, JP Harner III, G Boomer, JI Smith, R Rodriguez
- In control or not - How is your dairy? by A Young
- Water quality in mid south by D Beede and ER Jordon
- Pressed Sugar Beet Pulp for dairy cattle rations by JC Dalton and R Norley
- Start Preparing your dairy for winter by M Gamroth
- Corn Silage Harvest guidelines and options by Drs. T Nennich and J Harrison
- Evaluate the efficacy of your cooling system through core body temperature by MJ VanBaale, LH Bavmgard, JF Smith, MJ Brouk
- Reaping the management bonanza from a regulatory requirement by Dr. MA Tomaszewshi
- California Extention Veterinarian (Dr. John Kirk) Retires
- Got Starlings? Bird control options for dairies by C.D. Lee
- NAHMS 2002 Johne's Disease on US Dairy Operations by Dr. J Lombard
- Resesarch progress in Hemoraghic Bowel Syndrome by Drs. D VanMetre and R Callan
- Got Manure? Need a Technology? by Dr. Deanna Meyer, Livestock Waste Management Specialist, University of California - Davis
- Viral Teat Disease in Dairy Cattle by John H. Kirk, DVM, MPVM, Extension Veterinarian, School of Veterinary Medicine, U.C. Davis, Tulare, CA
- Effect of Forage Quality During the Transition Period by Matthew VanBaale, Extension Dairy Specialist & Lance Baumgard, Assistant Professor, Department of Animal Sciences, University of Arizona
- Worker Safety Training on Dairies by Noa Roman-Muniz, DVM, MS, Intergrated Livestock Management, Colorado State University
- Reproductive Ultrasound Revisited by Page Dinsmore, DVM, and Kevin McSweeney, DVM, Dairy Specialists, ILM, Colorado State University
- Disposing of livestock carcasses by John H. Kirk, DVM, MPVM, Extension Veterinarian, School of Veterinary Medicine. University of California Davis, Tulare, CA
- Taking a closer look at culling decisions by Julie A. Severidt, DVM, Colorado State University, Integrated Livestock Management.
- Manure and antibiotic contamination by Jessica G. Davis, Professor and Extension Soil Specialist, Colorado State University.
- Benefits of rumen fluid after DA surgery by John H. Kirk, DVM, MPVM, Extension Veterinarian, School of Veterinary Medicine. University of California Davis, Tulare, CA.
- Always be careful when inoculating livestock by Helen Schledewitz, Department of Environmental and Radiological Health Sciences, Colorado State University.
- The use of milk urea nitrogen (MUN) as a management tool by Allen Young, Dairy Extension Specialist, Utah State University.
- Understanding anaerobic lagoons: the key to good management by Jessica G. Davis, Professor and Extension Soil Specialist, Colorado State University.
- Don't use bulls without breeding soundness evaluations by J.C. Dalton, University of Idaho and M.W. Overton, University of California-Davis.
- National Johne's disease demonstration herd project by Jason E. Lombard, DVM, MS, Veterinary Epidemiologist, USAD:APHIS:VS:CEAH, Fort Collins, CO.
- The effect of singeing udder hair on mastitis and the bacterial content of milk by Larry Fox, Professor , College of Veterinary Medicine, Washington State University.
- 14 ways to minimize the expansion or relocation blues by Deanne Meyer, Extension Waste Management Specialist, University of California, Davis.
- Phosphorus on the dairy from feed grains and by-products by Mike Gamroth, Extension Dairy Specialist, Oregon State University and Troy Downing, District Extension Agent, Oregon State University.
- Strategies to increase nutrient export from the dairy by Mike Gamroth and Troy Downing.
- Making decisions regarding the balance between milk quality, udder health, and parlor throughput (Part 2) by Matthew J. VanBaale, Extension Specialist, Dairy, University of Arizona, John F. Smith, Extension Specialist, Dairy, Kansas State University, Dennis V. Armstrong, Extension Specialist Emeritus, Dairy, University of Arizona, and Joseph P. Harner III, Biological and Agricultural Engineering, Kansas State University.
- Making decisions regarding the balance between milk quality, udder health, and parlor throughput (Part 1) by Matthew J. VanBaale, Extension Specialist, Dairy, University of Arizona, John F. Smith, Extension Specialist, Dairy, Kansas State University, Dennis V. Armstrong, Extension Specialist Emeritus, Dairy, University of Arizona, and Joseph P. Harner III, Biological and Agricultural Engineering, Kansas State University.
- Staphylococcus aureus Treatment Options by John H. Kirk, DVM, MPVM, Extension Veterinarian, School of Veterinary Medicine. University of California Davis, Tulare, CA
- Milking Procedures on U.S.Dairy Operations. NAHMS Dairy 2002 Study
- Progress in Johne's Disease Program Development by Frank Garry, DVM, MS, Coordinator, Integrated Livestock Management Program, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO.
- The CIDR: Now Approved for Lactating Dairy Cattle by Joseph C. Dalton, Extension Dairy Specialist, Caldwell Research and Extension Center, University of Idaho
- Cottonseed Products and Natural Service Bulls by Joseph C. Dalton, Ph.D., Caldwell Research and Extension Center, University of Idaho.
- Some implications of Changes in Federal Milk Marketing Order Milk Pricing : April 2003, by E. Bruce Godfrey and Allen J. Young, Utah State University.
- Principle - Based Mastitis Prevention by John H. Kirk, DVM, MPVM, Veterinary Medicine Extension, University of California - Davis, Veterinary Medical Teaching and Research Center, Tulare, CA.
- Mycoplasma in Bulk Tank Milk on US Dairies by Brian McCluskey, Jason Lombard, and Heather Hirst, USDA:APHIS:VS:CEAH Fort Collins, CO.
- Hedging Milk with Futures and Options by Stephen R. Koontz, Department of Agricultual and Resource Economics, Colorado State University.
- Proper Animal Care Avoids Image Problems by Mike Gamroth, Dairy Extension Specialist, Oregon State University.
- Drinking Raw Milk Is Risky Even for Dairy Families by Val Hillers, Ph.D., Extension Food Specialist, Food Science and Human Nutrition Department, Washington State University
- Agroterrorism:What You Should Know About Foreign Animal Diseases by Jon Van Berkom, DVM, Assistant State Veterinarian, North Dakota Board of Animal Health
- How to Avoid a Contagious Mastitis Outbreak Following the Introduction of New Cattle by Dr. Page Dinsmore and Dr. Heather Hirst, Dairy Specialists, Integrated Livestock Management Program, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Co.
- Texas Begins Environmental Certification Program by Joe Pope, Erath Co. Texas Extension Agent
- Your Role in Bioterrorism Prevention by Dr. Magda Dunowska, Biosecurity Officer, Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80526
- Hemorrhagic Bowel Syndrome: Search for a Cause Continues by David C. Van Metre, DVM, DACVIM, Integrated Livestock Management Program, Colorado State University
- Dairy Beef: Maximizing Quality & Profit by Dale Moore, Extension Veterinarian and John Kirk, Associate Professor ,Veterinary Medicine Teaching and Research Center, University of California Davis, Tulare, CA
- New CAFO Federal Regulations Have Arrived by Deanne Meyer, Livestock Waste Management Specialist, Department of Animal Science, University of California, Davis
- Dairy 2002 Results: Colostrum Feeding
- A Different Look At Forage Evaluation by R. D. Shaver, Ph.D., Professor and Extension Dairy Nutritionist, University of Wisconsin-Extension
- A Quality Approach to Dairy Management by John D. Harrison, Ph.D.Agricultural Waste Management Specialist, Utah State University Extension
- Four Basics of Cleaning by Mike Gamroth, Extension Dairy Specialist, Oregon State University
- Evaluating the Effectivenessof Your Cleaning Program by Mike Gamroth, Extension Dairy Specialist, Oregon State University
- Are Your Cows Suffering from Asemenosis? by Ellen R. Jordan, Ph.D. Extension Dairy Specialist, Texas A&M University
- The CIDR: A New Estrous Synchronization Tool by Joseph C. Dalton, Extension Dairy Specialist, University of Idaho, Caldwell Research and Extension Center
- YoVé: WSU Dairy Product Development Team Success
- Challenges and Opportunities in Dairy Education by John P. McNamara, Department of Animal Sciences, Washington State University
- Tips to Decrease the Average Age at First Calving in Your Herd by Joseph C. Dalton, Extension Dairy Specialist, University of Idaho, Caldwell Research and Extension Center
- Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus Control and Eradication by Robert J. Callan, DVM, PhD, DACVIM, Colorado State University
- Maintaining the Flow by Michael Tomaszewski, Texas Cooperative Extension
- Nutritional Management of Transitional Dairy Cows by John P. McNamara, Professor of Animal Science, Washington State University
- Surviving the Urban-Rural Interface: The California Dairy Quality Assurance Program (CDQAP) by Sandra Stokes, TAMU, and Deanne Meyer, UC Davis
- Six Reasons Not To Use Clean-Up Bulls To Breed Your Heifers by Joseph C. Dalton, Extension Dairy Specialist, University of Idaho, Caldwell Research and Extension Center
- Farm Security Buffers by Ned L. Zaugg, Area Dairy Educator, Washington State University
- Monitor Bulls Closely to Avoid Problems in Dairy Operations by Peter J. Chenowith and John F. Smith, Kansas State University
- So What About This New Teat Dip? by Page Dinsmore and Heather Hirst, Dairy Specialists
- Integrated Livestock Management, Colorado State University
- Is There a Difference in Morning vs. Evening Cut Hay? by KC Bare, Senior Research and Extension Team and Mike Gamroth, Extension Dairy Specialist, Oregon State University
- Minimizing Infectious Disease in Baby Calves by Franklyn Garry, MS, DVM, Integrated Livestock Management, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
- Learning Spanish: The Four Week Crash Course by Heather Hirst, DVM, MS, Integrated Livestock Management, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Co
- Innovative Heifer Development Increases Lactation Potential by J.W. Schroeder, Ph.D., Extension Dairy Specialist and C.S. Park, Ph.D., Professor, North Dakota State University
- Data Flow: Will It Be There? by Michael Tomaszewski, Ph.D., Professor and Extension Dairy Specialist
- Long-term Experience with Young Heifers at First Calving by Allen Young, Dairy Extension Specialist, Utah State University
- Cooling Cows: Is airflow or soaking more effective? by M.J. Brouk, J.F. Smith, and J.P. Harner, Kansas State University Dairy Team
- The High-Producing Cow: Queen of Denial? by Michael Looper, Ph.D., Extension Dairy Specialist, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces
- Semen Handling: The Forgotten Link in Reproductive Efficiency by Joseph C. Dalton, Extension Dairy Specialist, University of Idaho, Caldwell Research and Extension Center
- Attacking Summertime Breeding Problems by Ellen R. Jordan, Professor and Extension Dairy Specialist, Texas Cooperative Extension, The Texas A&M University System
- Health Issues to Consider When Selecting a Calf Ranch by John H. Kirk, DVM, MPVM, Extension Veterinarian, University of California Davis. Tulare, CA
- Western Water's Rippling Effect by Ned L. Zaugg, Area Dairy Educator, Washington State University
- Risk of Purchasing Johne's Disease in Replacement Animals by John H. Kirk, DVM, MPVM, University of California,Tulare
November - December 2001
- Why the Interest in Methane Generation? by Mike Gamroth, Extension Dairy Specialist, Oregon State University
- Importance of Biosecurity: Now More Than Ever Dairy Biosecurity: USDA
- Idaho's Agriculture Odor Management Act by Dean Falk, Idaho Extension Dairy Specialist, Twin Falls R&E Center, Idaho
- Colorado General Discharge Permit Requirements by Trevor Tuell, Colorado Livestock Association
- Standard Operating Procedure:Dairy Manure and Wastewater Storage by Jessica Davis,Environmental Soil Scientist, Colorado State University
- Oral Drenching: Boosting the Fresh Cow by Sandra R. Stokes and Jesse Goff, Texas A&M University
- Importation Biosecurity Guidelines for Expanding Herds by Frank Garry, Integrated Livestock Management, Colorado State University
- The Western Energy Crunch: California Dairy Industry Braces for Rolling Blackouts by Mike Francesconi, Cost of Production Unit, Dairy Marketing Branch, California Department of Food and Agriculture.
- In Utah: Water and Electricity by Allen Young,Dairy Specialist,Utah State University
- In Washington State: Energy Costs by Ned L. Zaugg, Dairy Specialist, Washington State University
- In Texas: Energy Costs of Fans by Ellen Jordan, Dairy Specialist, Texas A & M University
March / April 2001
- Introduction Issue
- Environmental Regulations by Ellen Jordan, Texas Dairy Specialist.
- Nutrient Management Plans by Rick Norrell, Idaho Dairy Specialist.
- Potential Health Risks of Drinking Raw Milk by Doreene Hyatt, Head, Bacteriology Section, Colorado State University Diagnostic Laboratory, Fort Collins, CO
- Foot and Mouth Disease Precautions for Dairies by John Kirk, DVM, MPVM, Dairy Extension Specialist, University Of California